The creative spark and driving force of the Sunreef Yachts shipyard is Francis Lapp – the company’s Founder and CEO.
Born in France in 1958 Francis Lapp began his business activity in the domains of electric power and construction. After occupying managerial positions in the industry’s major companies he endeavored to found his own. An avid rally enthusiast, he visited Poland for the first time to take part in a race held by Warsaw’s Automobile Club. Having discovered Poland’s immense development potential throughout the 1990’s he chose to establish his business there and soon became a successful manufacturer of electrical equipment for some of the biggest global brands, soon expanding to providing services including the design and installation of electrical, sanitary and air conditioning systems for large industrial facilities.
Poland is also where Francis Lapp developed a vivid interest for sailing, having discovered the world of small racing catamarans. This experience encouraged him to buy his first, larger cruising catamaran which he based in Madagascar. With the purchase of more similar yachts he opened a travel agency, specializing in charters on the Indian Ocean. The company grew quickly as clients demanded more comfortable and larger catamarans. While trying to source such boats, he discovered there were no suitable yachts available on the market. This inspired him to get involved in building large, customized, luxury multihulls. This is how Sunreef Yachts was born.
Starting a new business and a lifelong adventure with yachting, Francis Lapp opened a shipyard in Gdansk - a city with long traditions in naval construction and the most skilled workforce. With the launch of the world’s first 74ft luxury oceangoing catamaran with a flybridge in 2003 Sunreef Yachts started a new era in the history of yachting and sparked a change in the philosophy of multihull design.
Today, over 100 Sunreef Yachts both sailing and power, are cruising worldwide and spreading the unique Sunreef touch around the globe. The company is now the world leader in the design and construction of large, customized luxury catamarans, exhibiting at the most important yacht shows including Cannes, Monaco, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Dubai, Qatar or Singapore.
- Sunreef Yachts establishes its production site and office in Gdansk, Poland
- The launch of the world’s first oceangoing luxury catamaran with a flybridge – Sunreef 74 CHE
- The launch of the world’s first double deck power catamaran with oceanic range – 70 Sunreef Power JAMBO designed with Laurent Bourgnon
- Sunreef Yachts develops in-house production of carbon masts over 25m
- Introduction of the Sunreef Ultimate line – an ultramodern range of high performance sailing luxury catamarans
- The launch of the superyacht Sunreef 102 Ipharra – the world’s first double deck sailing catamaran
- The launch of the superyacht Sunreef 114 Che – the world’s biggest sloop-rigged catamaran
- Sunreef 102 IPHARRA titled as the finalist of Showboats Design Award
- Sunreef 114 Che - the finalist of World Superyacht Awards
- Francis Lapp awarded as the Entrepreneur of the Year at the World Yacht Trophies during the Cannes Yachting Festival
- Introduction of the 210 Power Trimaran concept. A three-hulled megayacht of 210 ft with a living area of nearly 1000m²
- Introduction of the Sunreef 165 Ultimate concept. A 165 ft sailing luxury megayacht The launch of the 60 Sunreef Power Lilu -the world’s first 60ft power catamaran with IPS Volvo propulsion
- The launch of the Sunreef 80 Carbon Line Levante – the world’s first carbon catamaran-superyacht
- The 90 Sunreef Power awarded as the Discovery of the Year at the Luxury Lifestyle Awards
- Most Spectacular Entry to China of the Year at SIBEX, Shenzhen International Boat Show
- Introduction of the 40 Sunreef Hydrofoil concept. High speed luxury catamarans
- The launch of the world’s first catamaran-superyacht with a folding mast
- The launch of the world’s first 70ft power catamaran with IPS Volvo propulsion
- The Sunreef 156 Ultimate concept prized with the Best of the Best Award by Robb Report China
- Sunreef Yachts receives the Global Manufacturing Excellence Award in the Motor & Sailing Yachts Category
- The Sunreef 80 Carbon Line receives the European Medal Award
- The 70 Sunreef Power Damrak II prized as the Best Asia-Based Charter Yacht of the Year by Asia Pacific Boating Magazine
- The Sunreef 74 receives the Asia Boating Award and is recognized as the Best Worldwide Sailing Yacht Above 15m
- Development of the revolutionary Sunreef Supreme line
- Launching of the Sunreef Supreme 68 – first yacht in the Sunreef Supreme Range
- The 70 Sunreef Power receives the Asia Boating Award and is recognized as the Best Multihull Motor Yacht
- The Sunreef Supreme 68 receives the World Yacht Trophies Award for the Best Layout
- Sunreef Yachts celebrates the shipyard's 15th anniversary
- Introduction of a new range of sailing catamarans inspired with classics
- The launch of the Sunreef 88 Double Deck superyacht
- The Sunreef Supreme 68 receives the Asia Boating Award and is recognized as the Best Sailing Multihull Yacht
- The Sunreef 88 Double Deck wins the Christofle Yacht Style Award as Best Multihull over 15m